pale ale, all-grain
Source: Greg Tatarian (Anatum@aol.com), HBD
Issue #1725, 5/8/95
I am not the
most advanced brewer, and have tried to perfect my techniques with rather
simple ale recipes. This one is simple, but has some subtle flavors.
This is the only recipe I've come up with that I am willing to use again
without modifying - hope you like it.
- 9.5 lbs. Klages 2-row
- 1.5 lbs. Crystal 40L
- 1 lb. Cara-Pils
- 1 lb. Red wheat malt
- 1.5 oz. Northern Brewers - 60 min.
- .5 oz. Cascade - 60 min.
- .5 oz. Northern Brewers - 30 min.
- .25 oz. Cascade - 15 min.
- .75 oz. Cascade - dry hop in primary
- 2 Teaspoons gypsum in mash water
- 2 TBS Dextrin powder in boil
- 1 Tsp. Irish Moss in boil
- 1/2 oz. Crushed coriander in boil (yeah, yeah)
- Wyeast 1056 Chico Ale yeast
1.4 qts./lb. mash water
Protein rest @ 125 deg. - 30 min.
Conversion @ 155 deg. - 60 min.
Mash-out 170 deg.
5.5 gal. sparge water, pH 5.5 w/citric acid
Ferment w/Wyeast 1056 Chico Ale yeast - 68 - 70 deg.
5 days primary, 12 days secondary, 10 days bottle before drinking.