Source: Lisa Clayton (firstname.lastname@example.org), r.c.b.,
I realize this has been done to death, BUT I'd like to make a really
killer, dark chocolate, so thick you could almost pour it on top
of the ice cream, PMS-bustin' depression relievin' Chocolate Stout.
I've been doing some research, but I am by no means an experienced
extract homebrewer, but here's what I've come up with.
- 7 lbs. dark malt extract (powder)
- 2 lbs. chocolate malt <------ too much? Diminishing returns?
- 1 lb. crystal malt (80 or 100)
- .5 lb. black patent malt <------ for color, mainly
- 1/2 to 1 oz Bullion or Chinook hops
- 10mg (or so) Oatmeal <------ for head retentio
- Somewhere between 4-8 oz. Ghiradelli or Droste cocoa, if advisable.
- ale yeast
Steep the chocolate malts for 30 min. in 2 gal. water at 170 degrees.
Sparge with 2 quarts of water, remove. Add crystal & black patents and
bring to boil, sparge. Add extract, boil for 1 hr., during last 30
minutes add the hops, during last 10 add oatmeal (longer?) and
hop bag full of cocoa. Sparge cocoa with a few ounces of water,
then do the usual-- strain, cool, add yeast, etc.